Emergency Assistance: How to Get Help at a U.S. Embassy

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Travel Emergencies
Emergency Assistance

Where to go if you need Emergency Assistance

If you are traveling in another country and need emergency assistance, you should contact the U.S. embassy in that country.

U.S. embassies and consulates are located around the world in countries that have diplomatic relations with the United States. Employees in American embassies and consulates are official
representatives of the U.S. and its interest. They act as liaisons between the U.S. government and the host country. Usually embassies and consulates are located in the country’s capital city.

What a U.S. Embassy and Consulate Can Do For You

  • Replacing a lost or stolen passport or renewing a passport
  • Arrest, abduction, or imprisonment-  If arrested consuls can assist in a law-related travel emergency by providing a list of attorneys, contacting your family, and ensuring that jail conditions and personal health are in acceptable condition
  • If you become ill overseas, they can assist you in obtaining medical attention. In addition to a medical emergency plan that will transport you home to your own doctors.
  • Assist with marriages, birth, and adoptions
  • Obtain vital records (birth certificates, Social Security cards)
  • Emergency medical evacuation or dispositions of remains if an American citizen dies abroad
  • Notarizing Forms
  • Filing U.S. taxes abroad

What U.S. Embassy and Consulate Can’t Do For You

  • Assist with U.S. residency or immigration issues, including Green Cards
  • Provide information regarding U.S. visas or immigration benefits
  • Locate lost property
  • Cash Checks
  • Pay personal debts or lend money
  • Authorize and pay medical expenses
  • Get you out of jail, or have your charges reduced
  • Give legal advice, pay legal fees, or serve as attorney
  • Prepare tax returns
  • Collect or forward mail packages
  • Locate or provide information on U.S. citizens
  • Renew or replace driver’s licenses
  • Serve as interpreters or translators

Emergency Assistance with Medical Issues

While an Embassy can help you with some medical issues, it is best to also obtain a medical emergency travel plan if you are going oversees. Did you know that your health insurance probably does NOT provide the same coverage when you are far away from home, as it does when you visit your local doctors? If you get sick or injured, especially if it is serious and requires surgery or extended care, you will want to be home with your own doctors. Oversees medical transportation will cost more than $100,000. A medical emergency plan costs less than a plane ticket.

Don’t have a plan?…

Get A Plan!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sign Up For Our Newsletter!

Travel Tips

Are You Prepared for an Emergency?

Make sure you have the contact information for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are going. Read More


Past Posts


Broken in Bali

"Immediately I thought, `My gosh, this is what this membership is for.´ " Read More

Mary Stenseth San Jose, CA

Membership Booklet