According to SkyTrax, the World Airport Awards are the most prestigious accolades for the airport industry, and a global benchmark of airport excellence widely known as the Passengers Choice Awards. The votes for the world’s best airports come from airline customers around the world and results for the 2015/2016 survey period for the top 10 Airports in the world are:
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Incheon International Airport (South Korea)
- Munich Airport (Germany)
- Tokyo International Airport Haneda
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Chubu Centrair International Airport (Nagoya, Japan)
- Zurich Airport (Switzerland)
- London Heathrow Airport
- Kansai International Airport (Osaka, Japan)
- Hamad International Airport (Doha, Qatar)
Visit SkyTrax for a complete list of the Top 100 Airports.
#1 Changi Airport, Singapore
Changi Airport won the stop spot for the fourth year in a row. The many attractions and hospitality make it a destination unto itself, and not just a place to fly in and out of. The following is just a partial list of all the attractions this #1 airport has to offer.
- Cactus Garden, Butterfly Garden, Sunflower garden, & Piazza Garden
- Children’s Playground and interactive art stations
- Clinics and pharmacy
- Kinetic Rain (stand mesmerized by the dance of 1,216 polished copper raindrops.)
- Entertainment Deck
- Family Zone
- Free-to-use rest areas
- Free Movie Theater (catch the latest blockbusters for free at this 24-hour movie theater.)
- Prayer rooms
- Pay-to-use lounges and office space
- Swimming Pool
#2 Incheon International Airport, South Korea
Incheon International Airport is the largest in South Korea. According to their website is it the primary airport serving the Seoul National Capital Area, and one of the largest and busiest airports in the world. In addition to being #2 on SkyTrax list of best airports, Incheon has also been rated the best international airport by Airports Council International for seven years in a row (2005–present).
Amenities as this airport include:
- Golf course
- Private Sleeping rooms
- Ice skating rink
- Indoor gardens
- Museum of Korean Culture
- Fast departure/arrival times ranking it among the fastest airports in the world
- Duty-free shopping mall (rated the world’s best for 3 years in a row by Business Traveler magazine.)
#3 Munich Airport, Germany
Munich Airport is the international airport of Munich, the capital of Bavaria. It is the second busiest airport in Germany (after Frankfurt Airport). It has two passenger terminals, an additional midfield terminal, and two runways. It also has extensive cargo and maintenance facilities and is fully equipped to handle wide-body aircraft including the Airbus A380.
The Munich Airport Center (sometimes shortened to MAC) is a shopping, business, and recreation area that connects the two terminals.
Features at the Munich Airport include:
- The only supermarket in the entire state of Bavaria where one can shop from early morning to midnight every day (it is exempt from the Bavarian shop closing law)
- 152 stores and services
- 49 food outlets
- 4 multi-story parking garages and numerous parking areas, with a total capacity of more than 34,000 parking spaces
#4 Tokyo International Airport, Haneda
The Tokyo International Airport ,commonly knows as Heneda airport, is one of the two primary airports that serve the Greater Tokyo Area. It is the fourth busiest airport in the world.
Features that support Haneda’s #4 rank include:
- Six-story restaurant
- Large shopping area
- Conference rooms
- Large rooftop observation deck with open-air rooftop cafe
- Premier Gate facility for business jets, with parking available for up to 30 days.
- Dry cleaning services
- Pet Hotel
#5 Hong Kong International Airport
Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) is the main airport in Hong Kong. It is the world’s busiest cargo gateway and one of the world’s busiest passenger airports. HKIA also provides an estimated 65,000 jobs, making it a huge contributor to the local economy.
Special features include:
- SkyMart shopping mall and SkyPier
- Large selection of Asian, Chinese, and Western dining options include bakeries, cafes, fast food and bars.
- Art and Culture Exhibitions
Aviation Discovery Center
- Dreams Come True Education Park
- UA IMAX Theatre
We know you don’t generally pick your vacation or trip destination based on which airport you will be flying in and out of, but at least you will know which ones are the best airports in the world so you can appreciate all they have to offer when you find yourself in one.
One last thing…no matter which airport you are using, be sure you’ve considered how you’ll get home if you have an emergency situation pop up!